Is Co-existence Possible? An Islamic Response Previous part:
In order to further understand the Islamic perspective of co-existence and how co-existence is not just possible, but also Imperative and Feasible, let's see some Qur'anic verses which are considered crucial guidelines for co-existence in Islam:
1.Sanctity of human life: The Almighty said in his Final Testament: In the name of the God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful مَن قَتَلَ نَفْسًا بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ أَوْ فَسَادٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا whoever kills a soul unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. translation from 5:32 and وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. translation from 17:33 'just cause' is explained in the above verse 5:32. the just cause for killing an individual is 'intentional murder' or spreading mischief on earth. terrorism is an example of mischief...
2. No coercion in matters of faith The God stated: لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ Let there be no compulsion in religion translation from 2:256 and reminding the prophet of his role, the God said: فَذَكِّرْ إِنَّمَا أَنتَ مُذَكِّرٌ So remind, you are only a reminder. translation of 88:21 Which means, the Muslim only has to remind people of the path to the God and not to force them to believe.
3. Accepting religious diversity وَلَوْ شَاءَ رَبُّكَ لَآمَنَ مَن فِي الْأَرْضِ كُلُّهُمْ جَمِيعًا ۚ أَفَأَنتَ تُكْرِهُ النَّاسَ حَتَّىٰ يَكُونُوا مُؤْمِنِينَ And had your Lord willed, those on earth would have believed - all of them entirely. Then, [O Mohammed], would you compel the people in order that they become believers? translation of 10:99 and وَلَوْ شَاءَ رَبُّكَ لَجَعَلَ النَّاسَ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً ۖ وَلَا يَزَالُونَ مُخْتَلِفِينَ And if your Lord had willed, He could have made mankind one community; but they will not cease to differ. translation of 11:118 So, if the God wanted to force people to believe, he could have done so. but he wanted to give people freedom of choice. therefore, forcing them to believe in Islam is un-Islamic.
4. Universal human dignity: The God stated in the Qur'an: وَلَقَدْ كَرَّمْنَا بَنِي آدَمَ وَحَمَلْنَاهُمْ فِي الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ وَرَزَقْنَاهُم مِّنَ الطَّيِّبَاتِ وَفَضَّلْنَاهُمْ عَلَىٰ كَثِيرٍ مِّمَّنْ خَلَقْنَا تَفْضِيلًا And We have certainly honored the children of Adam and carried them on the land and sea and provided for them of the good things and conferred on them special favours, above a great part of our creation. translation of 17:70
5. Universal justice for all The God Almighty said: إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَأْمُرُ بِالْعَدْلِ Indeed Allah commands justice translation from 16:902 and يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُونُوا قَوَّامِينَ بِالْقِسْطِ شُهَدَاءَ لِلَّهِ وَلَوْ عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَوِ الْوَالِدَيْنِ وَالْأَقْرَبِينَ ۚ إِن يَكُنْ غَنِيًّا أَوْ فَقِيرًا فَاللَّهُ أَوْلَىٰ بِهِمَا ۖ فَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا الْهَوَىٰ أَن تَعْدِلُوا ۚ وَإِن تَلْوُوا أَوْ تُعْرِضُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرًا O you who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do. translation of 4:135 and يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُونُوا قَوَّامِينَ لِلَّهِ شُهَدَاءَ بِالْقِسْطِ ۖ وَلَا يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ عَلَىٰ أَلَّا تَعْدِلُوا ۚ اعْدِلُوا هُوَ أَقْرَبُ لِلتَّقْوَىٰ ۖ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ O you who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses in justice, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to taqwa: and have taqwa for Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do. translation of 5:8
6. Universal human equality and brotherhood irrespective of ethnic, color or linguistic diversity The God stated: يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اتَّقُوا رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ وَخَلَقَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا وَبَثَّ مِنْهُمَا رِجَالًا كَثِيرًا وَنِسَاءً ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ الَّذِي تَسَاءَلُونَ بِهِ وَالْأَرْحَامَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَيْكُمْ رَقِيبًا O mankind, have taqwa for your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And have taqwa for Allah, through whom you ask one another, and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for Allah ever watches over you. translation of 4:1 the word Taqwa is explained well in this article of mine [link] the God also said: وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِّلْعَالِمِينَ And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those of knowledge. translation of 30:22 and يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا ۚ إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who has) the most taqwa. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). translation 49:13
7. Essence of faith is mercy to all In the Qur'an, The God told the prophet Mohammed: وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِينَ And We have not sent you, except as a mercy to the worlds. translation of 21:107
To be continued in part 3, in sha'Allah
from "Is Co-existence Possible? An Islamic Response" [link] by Dr Jamal A. Badawi, Professor Emeritus, St. Mary’s University, Halifax, Canada
You can find more of Dr Jamal Badawi's articles in his website: [link] he is a famous Muslim scholar.
THE DRAWING: since I made this drawing: I really wanted to make another one with doughnuts. doughnuts + open-minded-religious-people = cool coexistence. Thanks to for the Christian scarf references.
For more about Islam and Coexistence: :thumb288854618:
If I am right, it is from Allah. If I am wrong, it is from myself.
This is quite heartwarming! I'm moved. One can certainly have fellowship with those of their own faith as well as enjoy the benefits of coexistence and interaction with those of other faiths. Too often people make it seem as if one should exclude the other.
One of my best friends in Jr. High was a Muslim. And it wasn't a doughnut with us. It was a Star Wars book that I'd been reading at lunch. Before I knew it, we were spending every single lunch chatting away about Star Wars, Dune and other Sci-fi things.
We lost touch with each other when we moved, but I've remembered him a lot during high school, especially after September 11th of '01 while I was in high school. Half the people in the school seemed bent on demonizing Islamic people, but all I could think of was how upset my friend would've been hearing all of it.
I still remember him fondly and hope he's doing well.
If the ingredients used to make the doughnut are halal, then the doughnut is halal. if you don't know whether something is halal or not, don't eat it. search about it, and if you find it is halal, you can eat it.
Well, having touched haram food first doesn't mean that everything they touch becomes haram. I believe if there is no haram ingredient in the making of doughnuts, then eating them is permissible and getting them as a gift from non-Muslims is permissible. and Allah knows best. please have a look at this fatwa here: [link]
If you are not convinced, please go and ask an imam.
Well its been about
2 weeks since my
last giveaway right
:?:star: To enter
simply Fave :+fav:
:star: - and this is
not required, but I
would like to get my
youtube channel out
there so I would be
honored if you could
take some time to
check it out(also
I reached the target
I'd been waiting for
for some time now:
!!! :headbang: I'm
guys are always so
awesome and give me
so much support!To
thank you, old
watchers and new
ones, I decided to
open a GIVEAWAY here
on my page!As you
In our continuous
effort to improve
Site Updates to keep
members informed and
to gather feedback.
Below is a list of
recent changes to
the site, bug fixes,
and feedback that
was brought up by
members in the last
NewUpdate to th...
`anmari has been spreading her infectious positivity throughout our community for over 6 years. Throughout this time Ana has been at the core of all things devious, passionately developing an eclectic gallery, helping organise devmeets, participating in chat events and also recently completed dedicating her time as a Community Volunteer. We are absolutely delighted to bestow the Deviousness Award for May 2013 to `anmari, congratulations! Read More